07 August 2010

Girls Camp 2010 - Sagehen, ID

07 August 2010
I was looking forward to Girls Camp this year so I could get to know the girls a little better. I was relieved to learn that they're all pretty darn cool.

I like to see the ideas that different leaders come up with. Christy Bennett was our Camp Leader, and I loved her. She has the perfect personality for the job ... fun and laid back (and a little sarcastic). You can tell the girls adore her.

Our theme was Superheroes - we put the "her" in Superhero.

We did a lot of the typical camp stuff - morning devotionals, swimming, hiking, craft, skits, night games, etc. But, one night, rather than s'mores, Christy came up with this clever idea to make chocolate eclairs over the campfire. Genius. You just get a large stick (a little wider than your finger), wrap the end with foil. Then you just pop open a tube of ready-made biscuits and wrap/stretch one over the tin foil. Then, cook that over the fire, and when it's done all the way through, slowly slide it off the foil and fill it with instant vanilla pie filling. Finally top it off with chocolate icing, or even easier, chocolate syrup. Rich, but tasty.

And what would camping be without wildlife sightings? Our YW pres. made me a little nervous with stories from her recent sleepless camp-out with bears right outside her tent every night. Not to mention the recent deaths in Yellowstone. Luckily, we didn't have any bear encounters. We did see 2 or 3 bald eagles, a few deer, a fox, and strangely enough, on our late-night drive home, we saw several owls right on the road.








I think one of the things the girls liked most about our camp spot was all of the rope swings around the lake, and I can't blame them. In fact, I got so jealous of all of the fun they were having, I had to try it out myself - fully clothed. Unfortunately, we don't have any pictures of that, but I have tons of them - flying much more gracefully than I did...










































No comments: