15 August 2010

Gardening tips please!

15 August 2010
I've always loved interior design, but now that we have a yard, miniature as it may be, I'm starting to get excited about landscape design. The only problem is that I'm clueless so I need your help!

There's lovely landscaping in front of our house, but unfortunately, we can't see it because a fence is in the way. Eric despises this fence. Personally, I prefer the fence to the road/cars. One solution is to move the fence closer to the road so we can improve our view while still obscuring the road. This is a great idea, but won't happen. I think the landscaping is more for curb appeal and to lure in prospective buyers from the street. So, it looks like we'll have to spice things up the best we can within our own little front yard.



The view from the road


The view from the side


Our front/left view. Blah.


Our canvas.

So what do you think? How can we add some lovely to our wee space?

We have a few ideas, but I'd love some feedback from those with experience. We would like to cover the black fence with English or Boston Ivy or Creeping Fig. From my understanding, English Ivy & C. Fig stay green all year round, while Boston Ivy turns a beautiful bright red in the fall but loses its leaves in the winter. Any suggestions?



As for the area directly in front of our house, help! We'll probably just need to go to a nursery and figure out what we like. As of right now, I just know I like hostas and a basic color scheme like a combination of dark green, bright green & burgundy/purple. What do you think?

Is it crazy that I suggested to Eric that we go to a nursery for our 7-yr anniversary on Fri.?

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Haha no I don't think that it is crazy to go to an nursery for your anniversary! My parents have done that several times. There gift to each other was a tree one year :)
Speaking of nursery's There is this AMAZING one, best in the valley, if you are interested let me know!
And I LOVE ivy, just make sure your neighbors don't care if maybe some gets on the fence, it spreads like crazy!
I am excited to see what you come up with, it will look great!

Amy Mak said...

I LOVE ivy too - there are a lot of flowering vines like morning glory that blooms. Hostas are fabulous for shade, you can divide them like crazy every few years and they are very low maintenance! My kind of plant.

Tikla said...

I have a friend who graduated in horticulture and has a website

http://www.thebestgardening.com/

I don't know much myself, but you might find some interesting things here.

Love your place. It's fun to keep updated on you two. :D

MARY NELSON said...

This is soooo exciting (to me). How about you make your yard into a little courtyard? Ivies can be fabulous. However, in Idaho I think they will all lose their leaves in the fall. I bought some landscaping books for our new Southwest area and we've been studying them - first for overall look, then for appropriate plants for the area. If you go to a good nursery you can have someone help you plan it (if you buy a certain $ of plants there you get the plan for free.) We looked at a lot of landscaping for small areas. This is my idea of REAL fun:)

Jennifer Crew said...

I constantly emailed this site post page to all my friends, because if prefer to read it then my all friends will too.www.thetreecenter.com