23 November 2010

My Grandma Carlton

23 November 2010
My Grandma Carlton passed away when I was just 8 years old, and I feel like I'm just now getting to know her. All I remember from my childhood is going to visit her in the nursing home where she would give us hand-drawn birthday cards and Big League Chew.

I've always known that she was a talented woman, but the more I learn about her, the more in awe I am of what she accomplished in her life, especially as a woman in the early 1900s.

She was a successful actress, singer, and artist.

Helen Aileen Wilson, 1910-1990.


My Grandma & Grandpa ("Buddy") actually met on stage. He's on the floor, right, with the trumpet.


Helen painted this portrait of Vivien Leigh/Scarlett O'Hara for Gone with the Wind. She's pictured here in front of the portrait for Redbook Magazine as she was nominated as Mother of the Year (at the time, she was very pregnant with her only child - my mom). She actually didn't like this painting very well.


A gorgeous painting of my mom at about 10 y/o.



Albert Einstein. Painted with the famous B/W photo as a reference.


This painting makes you wonder what my grandma really thought of men.


Bing Crosby



I love this one. (Painted on black glass)

Marilyn Monroe

9 comments:

Amy Mak said...

fascinating! what a fun subject to research.

Darcy said...

Your grandma was gorgeous! And what an amazing artist!

Allison Nelson said...

Wow, Cass, she's so interesting. Those kinds of details make family history very fun. Great post.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kimmycluts said...

This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing this wonderful information! Do you know if your grandmother painted any of the other portraits at Tara? For instance, the one of Ella O'Hara in the scene where Mammy and Scarlet discuss making the dress for Scarlett? Thanks again!

Snapesflower said...

I love this. Your grandma was an amazing painting. Her portrait of Scarlett is well preserved and hanging in the Margaret Mitchell house here in Atlanta.

Unknown said...

The apple does not fall far from the tree! Your grandmother was clearly beautiful and talented, just like her daughter, and her grandchildren!

Robert F Sullivan said...

Greetings. My wife's grandfather was the Hollywood movie director, Lloyd Bacon. He married a Nadine Coughlin (a Busby Berkeley girl). When they were married, Nadine had her portrait painted by your grandmother. My wife's father died 8 years ago and now the portrait hangs in our home. I've always loved it. You grandmother was very talented. Below is a link to the portrait. I'm sorry about quality (it's from a mobile phone). I can take a higher res photo and email to (if desired).

http://bit.ly/2ewDU9h

Best

Heidi said...

Love this! I have the portrait of Marilyn in my living room, it's my favorite painting. My grandpa bought a lot of her work when she lived in Emmett.