16 June 2008

Obnoxious Shopper

16 June 2008
When shopping for large purchases ("large" being $100+), I can be a little obnoxious with my shopping research. For example, right now we're in the market for a new digital camera, and not only have I spent a ridiculous amount of time on websites such as CNET, dpreview and B&H, but I'm also asking everyone I know who has ever taken a decent picture what kind of camera they have (or recommend).

The sad thing is I was pretty happy with our humble little Nikon Coolpix L6. Eric actually won the camera during law school, and we've been pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, it stopped working a couple weeks back after a very wet hike so now we're looking for a replacement - which is entirely too much fun for a tech nerd like myself.

I've looked at the smallest ultra-compacts, I've browsed wi-fi cameras, I've dreamt about the Nikon D40, but I think I've narrowed it down to 2. Although, I would still love any advice I can get!


It's between the Canon SD870 IS & the Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ5. Here's the DP Review side-by-side comparison.

Basically, the "Can" has 8 megapixels & 3.8x zoom, whereas the "Pan" has 9.1 pixels & 10x optical zoom. They both have the image stabilizer, high res 3" LCDs, wide angle lens, but the "Pan" is supposed to be pretty great for its HD video capabilities. Ok, ok, so I'm leaning toward the Lumix. The only advantage I can see that the Canon has is the reputation and size/design, but the Lumix has a 10x zoom! Of course it's going to be a little chunkier!

Ok, so it sounds like I've basically made up my mind. Now I just need to come up with the money. Suggestions and donations are welcome!

Which would YOU choose??

11 comments:

Bryce said...

Canon is always a trusted name brand. That is my opinion.

Cassandra said...

Thanks Bryce....I keep going back and forth! How is your cute little family??

Melissa said...

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier! I have a canon powershot, an older version, and I really like it. It is easy to use, there's not much of a delay with the flash, and it hasn't had any problems. If I were to buy a new camera tomorrow, it would be the Canon. But don't take my word for it, they both have good ratings.

Cassandra said...

Thanks Melissa! You and Scott are amazing photographers; I should be paying you for your advice!

Bre.Sean.Blake said...

I think you should just sketch your memories. It would be extra romantic.

Bre.Sean.Blake said...

I think you should just sketch your memories. It would be extra romantic.

Cassandra said...

That might just be the best suggestion yet!

Paul said...

Hi cassie!! I can't believe Eric is Branch Pres. He is amazing at it i'm sure. I hope you are both doing well!

Allison Nelson said...

Cass, I'm the one who asks you for advice about technical stuff, so I can't help much here. But thanks for all of YOUR help.

Mrs. Walker said...

I totally stumbled on your blog through my cousin Cyrena's, but I had to put in my opinion! lol. I have a Lumix and it's awesome. It's not that exact one, it's probably one or two steps down, but it's amazing and takes great pictures. I love it because it's so simple and awesome. My father-in-law dumped his D60 for the higher end Lumix and hasn't ever looked back.

Good luck! I'm sure they're both great cameras!

Cassandra said...

Thanks for your comment! I've only spoken with a couple of people who have experience with the Lumix, but they both raved about it so that's definitely encouraging. I'm still poor and undecided though. They should let you take cameras for a "test drive."