23 June 2008

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

23 June 2008
Since Eric became Branch President, I've tried my best to be a supportive wife, but I would be lying if I said it hasn't been hard to adjust to the realization that we're no longer moving back to the states in August - not this Aug. anyway.

I do miss "home", family, friends, all of it. So, I know it's a little early, but I'm thinking about flying home for Christmas. You know a girl's homesick when she's willing to travel about 60 hours and spend $1300 on airfare. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Eric will have the time or the money to join me, but I'll work on him. Maybe if I dangle the bowl season in front of his nose (TV is a week late here, and the games are always on at funny times, if at all).

Persuading men to do things is so much different than persuading women isn't it? I remember when Eric and I were playing with the idea of moving to India, and I was concerned about living in such a foreign culture and raising a family there and putting them through school, etc. Eric didn't seem to think those were very big issues, but as soon as he heard that they don't serve red meat there, India never came up again.

I know it sounds a little strange to want to fly away from a tropical island in the middle of winter, but since no one's mentioned a family Christmas on Saipan as of yet, I think I need to go to them - before I forget what my nieces and nephews look like. Plus, it's not just about family; I'm not ashamed to admit that one of my first items of business is to run into Target and Wal-mart and kiss their floors. And I think I'll go to a new restaurant for every meal, just because I can!

I'm excited for so many things - taking a bath (bathing doesn't work so well in our 2x2 shower), having electricty...Aww, heavenly splendor.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I think that sounds great! Especially since this is our Idaho Christmas!!

Joe, Becky, Logan(Fox) and Trigger Green said...

Hey Cass~
I also think that would be a great idea. I didn't realize that you were "scheduled" to come home this August. Time goes by SO fast!
p.s. I love all of your amazing pictures

Cassandra said...

What do you think Heav - If I do come home for Christmas, should we have a big Girl's night to go see Twilight opening night??

I know that Robbie already has it on her calendar... (although maybe the 12th is too early for you to be home?)

Patrick and Natalie Nelson said...

Oh, Cass! I hope you do! Would you be in ID the whole time? If so, we would have to arrange to come up and see you! Or maybe you could come stay with us for a night or two! Little Miss needs to meet her aunt! :)

Cassandra said...

I would LOVE to see the baby! I hope we can figure something out.

Allison Nelson said...

Cass, this is such a fun post! Cracked me up. Even being in Italy for 7 weeks makes me miss little things about the states, such as mexican food and wal-mart! I can only imagine your own appreciation. I hope it works out for you to go to Idaho for Christmas.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are going a little island crazy over there. Maybe if Eric applied for the job here in the Bay Area that I told him about you would be much closer to family :)