18 April 2011

You let me down Arizona

18 April 2011
Ok, before you read too much into the title of this post, we did have fun in Arizona, but I have to say that the weather was disappointing. 50s - low 60s. Really, Arizona? I expected more from you. With my capris and sandals, I really wasn't prepared for that cruel trick. Luckily, Eric convinced me to bring my jacket at the last minute.
Hanging out outside of Evogi, waiting for Steven to finish up a meeting before our delicious lunch at Sweet Tomatoes.

Steven & Mary's new party pad! Check out the pool! There's also a little BBQ/Bar area that you can see in the background and, you can't see it in this photo, but a funky little Tiki Hut. And tons of space for Mary to work with. She has big landscaping plans, and even bigger plans for enticing the grandkids to come visit.

Arizona Dessert Botanical Garden. I'm still not a big fan of the dessert landscape, but it was definitely interesting to see all of the different, unique plant species that survive in the dessert. I thought this one (above) was pretty cool. Mary and I decided that dessert plants look like Dr. Suess characters or maybe something from Little Shop of Horrors. I kept waiting for one of them to come alive and strangle me, poke me to death, or swallow me up whole. 

Glass Sculptures at the entrance of the Dessert Botanical Gardens

Steven, Eric and I - with a very cool backdrop
We tried to go for a nice little hike on Saturday, but we got dumped on, and had to slosh back to the car in the heavy rain, but it was a fun adventure.

Despite the weather, we still managed to stay busy and enjoy ourselves. We went to a couple of good movies (Investment Bureau & True Grit) and ate at some fun restaurants. Eric and Steven felt compelled to introduce me to the famous Waffle House which I'm glad they did b/c it gave me a glimpse into some funny Nelson memories. Although, I will say that one time was probably enough for me. :)

Thanks again Steven & Mary for having us! And Arizona, I'll be back soon to give you a chance at redemption.

4 comments:

taylor elaine said...

I absolutely love love love love Sweet Tomatoes. :)

Cassandra Nelson said...

Couldn't agree more Taylor! I wish we had one here in Idaho (or maybe I don't...)

Allison Nelson said...

So sorry about your weather experience in AZ, Cass. Its a fluke, of course. It rains 20-30 days a year, so you had bad luck. In March when I was there it was in the 80's everyday and even hit 90! Crazy warm. What a bummer. BTW, the "holy" mountain in your last pic is where Peter and I had our engagement pics taken! Its in Tempe, right? Don't you love the new party house in Scottsdale and esp the party hut? How random is that? We're toying with the idea of blessing our baby in AZ next January at their home. TBD. Yes, please come back to visit AZ for weather redemption.

Amy Mak said...

Fun post! House totally unexpected! Glad you could go - so nice.