04 February 2010

La Casa?

04 February 2010
Ok, so it's no secret that I'm excited to jump into the next phase in life. Eric and I have been married for 6.5 yrs, and I think we're finally ready to consider buying our first home (more likely a townhome). Thank you Obama for easing us into this decision with the $8k First Time Home Buyers Tax Credit. We don't even know if we qualify for anything yet, but these are the things I like to daydream about. I need your help though, which of these 4 options below is your favorite?

Option 1:
2 BR, 1 Bath - Downtown Boise! Same street as Eric's new job - just a few blocks away. I think it would be a blast to live downtown. (Random fact: I'm a sucker for little details like doors...)
Option 2:
3 BR, 3 Bath - Cute place, community pool, good location, but really close to a loud, busy street.
Option 3:
3 BR, 2.5 Bath - Huge! (for us anyway) Decent location. Cheapest. Least amount of character.

Option 4:
3 BR, 2.5 Bath - Our favorite! High quality, charming, smart everything! Unfortunately, it's also the most expensive. But still very reasonable if you ask me. By the way, this isn't the exact one we would buy. (different colors, lighting, finishes, etc.) And if we want, we can also customize one. That just means we'd really be pushing it for the tax credit AND we'd have to wait another 3-4 months for it to be built. :( Am I that patient?

Watchoo think?

7 comments:

Amy Mak said...

Okay, #4 looks like the sweetest option but I'd probably go for #1. It sounds like a blast to live downtown with husband, a block away from work. You can both walk more. It looks quaint with character. Cheaper is good. Living below means is huge. You'll have a fabulous house in the years ahead, but #1 looks different from the rest and looks like the most fun to me :) Since you asked!

Cassandra Nelson said...

I like the way you think Amy! #1 is adorable. I just looked at it yesterday and then I walked to Eric's office (which is right in the heart of downtown) & I just loved the feeling of it all. Our only complaint is that we're really shooting for a 3BR (office, nursery) so we can stay in it for a while. That picture is deceiving b/c, unfortunately, it would only be the top floor of that house - not the whole thing). And, I definitely agree about living below our means. Fortunately, there's not a huge discrepancy between the prices of all of these homes.

Darcy said...

Hi, I'm Darcy a friend of Eric's from Ricks. I've been in the Real Estate business off and on for the last 9 years, and I'd just love to weigh in on your housing options. I can see why you like all these. You could buy #1 and then rent it out when you decide to grow. It seems like such a good location, you probably wouldn't have a hard time finding a renter. You most likely won't like the location of #2 and resale value may not be as much as the others because of the busy street. Buying brand new as in #4 is always fun because you get to choose your colors, etc. However, I would choose #3. Since no one knows how long this housing slump will last (5-10 years maybe!?) I'd pick the one that will get me through as long as possible, but also would have the most resale potential. This house seems to be the most practical for a young family to be. This house is big enough for a few kids, has a yard, a garage (no scraping windows), and is the cheapest. Even if it doesn't have much character, you can definitely grow into it and not be itching to get out of there too soon. Thanks for asking for opinions, I love to share mine!

Cassandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darcy said...

You are lucky to be a buyer right now. There is inventory galore out there, and I'm sure you'll find something that fits your wants and needs all within a reasonable price! good luck!

Bryce said...

How exciting!! Cass just to let you know there are some great houses in our neighborhood. We live in Vienna Woods Sub Division off Locus Grove and Mc Millan. We also have a great ward. Lots of families around our age group. It is great!

Bryce said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.