18 May 2009

Manila

18 May 2009
Our temple trip definitely met some obstacles along the way, but we did it, all 35 of us! And I think we learned a lot about ourselves and each other throughout the process, and I'm so glad Eric was able to put together this seemingly impossible adventure.

It was a spiritual & humbling experience. And fun too - thanks to good company.



These top 2 photos were taken by Del Benson. Missing from the top pic: Del obviously, Gloria & Liz. (Also, Kim & Wandalyn Wally who, unfortunately, couldn't make it to P.I. because their passports never arrived, despite being expedited/over-nighted. That was probably the biggest disappointment of the trip since their family was sealed, but I know they'll have another opportunity.)


Mark & Elias Magabo. (sealed to their mother/wife who was sick and passed away while they were taking the discussions)




Ice Skating at the Mall of Asia. They even had snow falling from the ceiling!


Mall of Asia


Tagaytay Volcano


All of us crammed into a small jeepney for about 6 hours total. (No A/C, just windows and "Would you Rather?")


Streets of Manila


Zip lines in Tagaytay!


And, finally, our celebrity sighting. David Archuleta & David Cook had a concert @ the Mall of Asia on Sat, but that's not when we saw them (we were at the mall on Fri.) David Cook was on our flight back to Tokyo, and we actually spotted David Archuleta at the temple! Apparently, he just popped into a youth group's baptism session and caused a little bit of a frenzy with kids and even temple workers requesting his autograph. We saw him as he was leaving the temple to get into a van with tinted windows. We didn't get any autographs or pictures...Diane Esplin and I just ran up to his van right as the sliding door was closing so we just waved, and he waved back.

I can't take credit for this photo, but it was taken just a few minutes before we saw him.

CLICK HERE for more pictures from our trip.

8 comments:

Allison Nelson said...

Cass! We're so glad to read the update on the temple trip. Very exciting. What a wonderful legacy for Eric to leave as branch president.

Heather said...

Wow, what an amazing trip. Great job, Eric! I'm glad it ended up going so well.

Amy Mak said...

Amazing experience. Thanks for the updates. What great work you are doing.

Gina said...

Hey Cass! Wow, what an amazing adventure you guys are having out there. That is so crazy you saw David Archuleta at the temple. haha It is fun to see him in a white shirt and tie!
So we're moving to Omaha the beginning of July. We're about to put an offer on a house. CRAZY. Take care!

Jeff and Lindsay said...

Momma Cass, that sounds like a great trip. What a neat experience. Lindsay has kept me up to date with all your adventures in Saipan. Lindz asked me about our Jeep adventure on R-mountain. I told her that I had everything under control and that Eric overreacted! HA! Tell him I say hi.

Sheri said...

Cass, I can't believe how awesome an experience that must've been. We are so blessed to have a temple 20 minutes away, and we totally take it for granted. What an inspiration! I need to learn a lesson from the faithful people in your branch. I can't believe these crazy experiences you are having. I am so jealous!

Melissa said...

WOw! That is an awesome trip. The temple and Archuela! Impressive. Did I tell you I'm back in Rexburg? It is so weird!!!

GrannyLanny said...

We love reading and seeing your beautiful blog. Wonderful pictures, and we are happy that your temple trip turned out well. It will be the highlight of your time in Saipan, I'm sure.